G20 YOUTH SUMMIT 2020
The Applications for this year Y7 and Y20 are now closed.
In collaboration with the Italian government and the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, the Young Ambassadors Society (YAS) is now recruiting respectively the four and the three delegates that will represent Italy at the Summit of the Youth 7 (Y7) and at the Summit of the Youth 20 (Y20), the official engagement groups of the G7 and G20 dedicated to young people.
Within a global network, the Young Ambassadors Society aims at promoting dialogue and cooperation between national and international young people and offers them opportunities to speak up and make an impact. Through meetings and events, we create the conditions to learn and raise awareness on many issues related to economics, science and innovation. In particular, YAS recruits the Italian youth Delegations who take part in international Conferences and Summits, such as Y7 and Y20, the official engagement groups of G7 and G20 Summits.
What is the Y20?
The Y20 and Y7 summits are the official engagement groups of the G20 and G7 summits, bringing together young leaders representing the G7 and G20 countries. The conferences allow young delegates from these countries to gather to discuss ideas and put forth recommendations concerning the global agenda discussed in the leaders’ G20 and G7 summit. The schedule of the youth summits parallels that of the leader’s summit; the outcome is a Final Communique’ containing proposals from the Young delegates that is passed on to the leader’s summit to make the voice of young people heard.
About the Y20 Summit 2020
This year, the Y20 Summit will take place in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, from the 10th to the 18th of October.
The delegates will be called to address the following Priority Areas:
- Future Fit: Ready to keep up with and overtake the challenges of the future.
- Future Skills
- Future of Work
- Youth Empowerment: Agile, dynamic leaders in a changing world.
- Decision Making Inclusion
- Leadership Development
- Global Citizens: Proactive, culturally sensitive problem solvers.
- Sustainable Development
Delegates have the important role of representing their countries’ youth, and as such they will be called to develop a set of policies on the topic areas mentioned above with other delegates from around the world. The final set of policies, the ‘Communique’, will be delivered to the G20 leaders.
Profile of the delegates:
To apply, candidates must
- Be aged between 20 and 35 at the time of the Summit
- Be fluent in English (speaking, writing, and reading) and able to negotiate with other delegates
- Understand their countries’ position on the priority areas and have deep knowledge of, at least, one of the above-mentioned topics
- Have strong academic background and commitments in concrete projects/volunteer experiences as well as previous experience & representation in global fora and summits
- Understand global problems with a multicultural perspective
- Be aware of the role of the Y20 engagement group in the G20
- Be able to attend and commit to the Y20 Summit and preparation
- Be able to finance the costs associated to the participation to the Summit (transportation cost to the Summit, as well as to all the costs associated to a potential pre or post-summit meeting in Rome with representatives of the Italian Institutions)
- Be able to get a VISA to enter the Saudi Arabia, if required
Delegates are expected to be proactive, engaged, and enthusiastic, individually as well as in the group. They are expected to spend time preparing the Summits (e.g. by researching topics, attending online pre-meetings and negotiations, attending potential pre or post-summit meetings in Rome with representatives of the Italian Institutions, writing policy papers, and such alike) and after the Summit (to work on possible follow-up actions).
Shortlisted candidates may be contacted for an online/telephone interview that will take place in the second half of February.
Board and accommodation in Riyadh will be provided. Each delegate should cover the expenses for the round trip to Riyadh and al the costs associated to potential pre or post-summit meetings in Rome with representatives of the Italian Institutions.
The deadline for submitting the application is 29 February 2020. We review applications on a rolling basis, so we strongly encourage you to apply as early as possible.
Please note that it is possible to apply for both the Y7 and Y20 Summits. There is a unique application in which you will able to specify if you want to apply for the Y7 only, Y20 only or both.
The Italian Delegates for Y20 2020 are